Let's see how I'm doing.
1) Increase Seminar Attendance
I set a goal of six minimum seminars for the year.
Through the end of May I attended MAPA 4, MAPA 5, IMAF Houston Camp, IMAF Rowlett/Dallas Camp, one PAC seminar, and one A-KATO seminar.
That's six. Through the end of May.
|Top-Bottom: MAPA 4, IMAF Houston,|
MAPA 5, IMAF Rowlett
I have planned thus far (for sure): Two-Day seminar with Datu Dieter Knüttel at the end of June, IMAF Camp College Station in July, MAPA 6 in August, MAPA 7 and Balintawak Camp with Datu Tim Hartman in November (Oh, look, I have September and October free - for now). I have on my radar several other seminars and camps (one particular one in August I'd love to try to make) but I'm not sure if I can get time off to attend those (as they are all out of town). If I don't go to anything else other than what I've specifically mentioned I'm pretty sure I'll go to here, I will have completed 11 seminars in 2015.
BOOOSH. Goal destroyed.
2) Back to Basics
I think my seminar attendance has helped me fine-tune the basics of my game, especially in the Modern Arnis part of what I do. I'm certainly not where I want to be but I'm on the path. Good fundamentals always trumps having lots of knowledge about stuff (but doing it poorly). Ranging, stepping properly, and using the empty hand well are on my mind.
3) Meet my weight loss goal
My goal is to lose four dress sizes. I have lost almost three as of this writing (from US size 18 to a tight US size 12). I suspect I'll hit this goal this year.
4) Continue at the Gym
With everything going on (see this and this), something had to give. I was doing fine until we ended up having to move at the end of April. Our schedule changed due to my older daughter starting fencing - which I am thrilled that she's doing - and now we have more new stuff on the horizon that is going to make it difficult to manage. Not to mention that we are close to younger daughter starting up training on a regular basis - we're trying her in a class this week.
Excuses, excuses. I know.
The going to the gym goal is epic fail as of right now.
Jaaaaaaacccckkkiiieee, where arrrreee yoooouuuu?
5) Start Kobudo
Done. I'm in class every month. I will have to miss the June session due to the first ADE Self Defense Course we're putting on for our own program, but that'll be the only class I will miss. Luckily, I can make it up with my teacher in my home school and if I get desperate for more instruction, I'll reach out to friends in the organization and get some extra training.
I didn't number it, but I mentioned a goal of 65,000 views for this blog in 2015. Through the end of May, I am actually trending about 3,000 short, going by daily views. That's okay - I have plenty of time to make that up, and I'm fiddling with some things here that I hope will help me reach this goal. I'm not very far, so I'm going to say that it's still achievable.
REVISED GOALS AND A NEW ONE:
1) Seminars - no change. Since I've already destroyed this goal, I won't change my plans any; I'll just take the epic win.
2) Basics - no change. I still think it's incredibly important to my improvement. With the MCA schedule not conflicting in any way with our tranining/assistant instructing at Hidden Sword Martial Arts, I will get to continue to work on this a bunch.
3) Weight Loss - no change. I'm still rockin' it and feeling great about it. Losing 30 lbs will do that for you, but I still have another dress size and a half or so to go.
4) Gym - get back in there! I will set a revised goal of one hour of weight training at least once a week. I know it's not optimal for true strength training but it's better than nothing at all. There may be an opportunity to have this happen at NRH Centre vs. the gym next to my house, so I can get in a workout before or after MCA Class, maybe (and that's how I'll end up exceeding the goal if this works out).
5) Kobudo - no change. I believe we will be testing in the fall for our first grading. After that, I think we're going to start the study of tonfa. I'm psyched for that, as I really like them. Unless they ask me to not come back due to stinking up the joint, I should be meeting this goal easily enough and I'll take it for another epic win.
6) NEW GOAL - Mid-Cities Arnis Enrollment. I'd like for our martial arts program to have a minimum of 10 enrolled students by the end of 2015 in our regular Presas Arnis class.
65K views for 2015 - no change. I'm still going to try to make that goal and I think I'll be able to meet it. I'll do that by writing and providing stuff that those of you reading this want to read and engage with, and I'm going to do my best to keep doing that to the best of my ability. I'm working on having more guest posters, trying to find a better way to include more humor in this blog (which is always my intent), and trying to bring more of a sense of fun here that I think I've been missing lately.
I love what I do, and I feel the need to write about it, because it's so darn fun. I want my blog to be fun for you, too.
Blogging about my journey here has provided me with so many benefits, including meeting some amazing and smart and wonderful martial artists inside and outside of my art. So thank you - thanks for reading, sharing, and commenting on what I write here. My world is bigger and brighter as a result.
If you have an itch to guest post here, please do reach out to me! It can be a riff on something I've written - maybe even telling me I'm totally wrong on something - or your own thoughts. Either way, if you're considering trying to blog, reach out to me, and let's chat!
So, how are you doing in 2015? Did you set any goals? How's your progress? It's not too late to set some for the rest of the year, y'know, if you didn't.
But just don't call them "Resolutions".